Barbecue Pork Shoulder
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot chile powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped (with seeds)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes including juice
- 1 bay leaf
- Special equipment: Slow cooker
- Accompaniment: 8 to 10 sandwich rolls
In small bowl, whisk together sugar, tomato paste, mustard, vinegar, chile powder, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Set aside.
In heavy, medium skillet over moderately high heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add onion, pepper, jalapeño, and garlic, and sauté until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker.
Add pork cubes, bacon, tomatoes and their juices, and bay leaf and stir to combine. Pour sauce over mixture. Cover and cook on low until meat is very tender, 8 to 10 hours. Remove bay leaf and use fork to break up meat before serving on rolls.