Today I was going through some of the statistics of twitter and it really presented a case which would make skeptics believe that Twitter is more than just a fad.
Some of the hard nosed facts about twitter and its growth engine are as follows:
- 1,382% year-over-year growth in February 2009.
- Total unique visitors grew from 475,000 in February 2008 to seven million 80,00,000 (Eight million) last month.
- Twitter is the fastest growing member community site for the month of February.
- Zimbio (240%) and Facebook (228%) were the second and third-fastest growing online communities.
- Twitter is not just for kids: In February 2009, adults ages 35-49 had the largest representation on Twitter – almost 3 million unique visitors from this age group (almost 42% of the entire audience).
- 62% of the audience access Twitter from work only, while only 35% access it only from home.
- It’s all about mobile: In January 2009, 735,000 unique visitors accessed Twitter via their mobile device.
- The average unique visitor went to Twitter 14 times during the month.
- They spent an average of 7 minutes on the site.
- In Q4 2008, 812,000 unique users sent or received Twitter text messages (via AT&T or Verizon cell phones).
- The average tweet per person for the quarter was nearly 240.
BTW, reports say that many twitter users interact via 3rd party apps like Tweetdeck, Twhirl etc. So the actual numbers would be subsequently more than these stats.