Best practices for team collaboration sites
Enforce site and content size limits
Follow recommended guidelines for managing site collections, site, lists, and documents according to business needs, including the following:
- 50,000 site collections per content database
- 500 MB per site collection (default quota maximum)
- 50 MB file size limit (recommended) up to 2 GB (maximum)
- 2000 items per list view
Best Practices for capacity management
1. Document information in the following areas:
· The number of users, requests per second (RPS), number of sites, number of documents, and the amount of data that is stored are important numbers to record.
· For Search, document the number of content sources and the index size.
· Document user authentication access methods and numbers.
2. Well-known guidelines include the following:
· 1,000 users yield one RPS Note that this guideline applies to a typical user at 10 percent concurrency
3. Plan for a maximum of 20,000 users per collaboration Web server
4. Use a separate instance of SQL Server for each 5 terabytes of content
Keep content database sizes under 100 GB to enable fast and reliable backups, and to avoid list contention issues during peak usage.